Rob Lycett Seminar 3- Redaction
February 6, 2015 § Leave a comment
In todays seminar we talked about redacted reading- About the inverted application of highlighting
– you remove the unnecessary information
We looked at page 1 of great expectations- we will all be re-designing the same page of text like in this book where they re-designed the first page of the book all in different styles.
- Mostly when we see redaction it is the blacking out of text
- However sometimes we still see a pattern structure
- Consider original text as a database of words
- Diagram tic layers over the top
- Can form new meanings through the redacted text
The homework from this lecture was for us to redact the first things first manifesto, which we will eventually put into a 4 page spread that we will all each contribute to a book that we are putting together. to do this we used robs font redacted regular and redacted black.
This was a fun little assignment where we got to redact text to create the same message but paraphrased or what we thought the actual meaning of the text was in a new and creative way instead of just re-writing it out. It was also fun to see how others approached this task and what they come up with. It was also relatively straightforward enough to give your brain a little rest while still being somewhat challenging in deciding on what message you wanted to portray.