Securing a Placement Tutorial
December 3, 2014 § Leave a comment
Form a group of between 3 or 5 people.
There are a range of useful resources such as links to professional advice from professional animators, designers and organizations and PDFs on how to put together portfolios etc
As a group we had to determine the key aspects of searching for and securing a placement:
- identifying how to find companies that might be interested in taking you on a placement
- considering the best way to make first contact with these companies
- putting together and designing a showreel or portfolio
- showing this showreel or portfolio to the companies you are interested in
- obtaining useful feedback
- following up on your first contact
- In 3 hours – we had to work as a group to produce a well designed digital presentation (PDF, PowerPoint etc) that professionally communicates our findings and opinions regards the 6 key aspects above and any other information you think is vital for a student trying to secure a placement.
we had to then have this ready to present to the group by 12.15pm
However Darren was ill and so we had to e-mail him our power point presentation for which we were then given feedback for after we had submitted it. we did fairly well although he wanted us to think about the design aspects of it a little more so that it stands out.
I think that this helped in response to our own personal development when looking for placements and that we learned a little bit more about what companies and potential employers are looking for when it comes to our work and professional practice. I also think it also gave everyone something to think about when it comes to working towards placement and a guide as to not only what we will need but also what we will gain from placement year.